Eighty acres of garden in the
beautiful Conwy valley
garden at Bodnant is one of the finest in the world. It is situated above
the River Conwy on ground sloping to the south-west and looks across the
valley towards the Snowdonia range.
The garden is in two parts. The upper part around
the house consists of the Terrace Gardens as well as informal lawns shaded
by trees. The lower portion, known as 'The Dell', is formed by the valley
of the River Hiraethlyn, a tributary of the Conwy, and contains the Pinetum
and wild Garden.
Pride of place
amongst the shrubs is held by rhododendrons, magnolias and camellias -
many of which were raised at Bodnant - which are in bloom from March until
the end of June.
In the summer months the Terrace Gardens are very colourful, with herbaceous borders, roses, water lilies, clematis and many unusual wall shrubs and climbers.
In August and September, eucryphias and hydrangeas are a special feature, and later many of the autumn berrying trees and shrubs. An October visit is very worthwhile to see the splendid autumn colours. The vast collection of plants in the garden ensures colour and interest at all times.
The garden was presented to the National Trust by Henry Duncan, Second Baron Aberconway in 1949, and is managed on the Trust's behalf by the present Lord Aberconway and Martin Puddle.
Snowdonia Group (www.snowdonia-information.co.uk)mailing
in order to receive the latest deals and activity information.